- General Questions
- How long after the fire is out till I can shut the
damper? (12-14 hours, maybe longer if it's a big ash bed. A good rule of thumb is to wait until the day after the fire
is out to shut the damper.)
- How long do ashes remain flammable?
(up to 72 hours after fire is out! Ashes should be stored in a metal container and kept away from anything combustible if
removed within 3 - 5 days after fire is out. Most wood burners only clean out the ash bed a few times per season.)
- How often does a chimney need to be cleaned? (Amount of use, the quality of the fuel being
burned, and the strength of the draft flow will all have an affect on soot buildup in your chimney. A good rule of thumb is
to have the chimney thoroughly inspected every year or two to be safe. Chimneys that are used often throughout the wood burning
season should be inspected and cleaned annually. Some heavy burners will even need a mid-season inspection.)
- How often should my Carbon Monoxide detector be replaced? (Every 5 years - new batteries
every 6 months.)
- Is the name August West really from a Grateful Dead
song? (Yes! Wharf Rat...If you knew the answer to this question, you need to check out the Dead in their latest rendition
Furthur - Bobby & Phil still jammin together & sounding better than ever! www.Furthur.net -click this link for tour dates)
Based in Weston, CT.
Family owned and operated for 31 years. Founded 39 years ago, in
We are ethical and knowledgeable - just ask your
Many references available on request.
Have a question? Enter it below and maybe we'll answer it right here on